Another favourite in the Ellson house. There is nothing like a good stew as the centrepiece of a meal. I have made this many times and always slightly change the veggies according to what we have in the fridge. The beef though is the hero of the dish and worth choosing carefully. I made this on a Saturday late afternoon starting at around 5pm and had the meal on the table at 6.15pm. Lots of happy faces and tummies at the end!
- Dash olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 400g grass fed rump steak
- 2 carrots
- 1 medium beetroot
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 300g organic passata sauce (100% tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup full fat cream
- Sprinkle of fresh thyme, sea salt and cracked pepper
- Chop the onion and place into a casserole dish with dash of olive oil. Heat on stove and add crushed garlic and chopped mushrooms; leave to brown for 5 mins.
- Add the rump steak, chopped into bite sized chunks, stir and leave for a further 5 mins.
- Add all other ingredients, stirring occasionally until bubbling, then turn down and simmer for 15-20 mins.
- Serve with pasta or potatoes, and lightly steamed green veg – broccoli or green beans recommended.