Muesli bars are a popular lunch box snack across the world, especially to provide fuel whilst on a walk or similar outdoor pursuit. However, there are many examples available in the supermarket that contain a number of artificial ingredients including added sugars, colours and preservatives.
Here is my homemade version – made with just whole food ingredients and love 🙂
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 cups oats
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- 1/3 cup flax seeds
- 1/3 cup chopped dates
- 1/3 cup raw cacao (optional for chocolate taste)
- 1 tbsp raw honey (optional to add some extra sweetness)
- Mix dry oats, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds in oven proof dish and toast in oven for 15-20 mins – stir a few times – until mixture starts to turn lightly brown.
- In a food processor mix the egg and coconut oil together, then add all other ingredients and mix on slow speed for 1-2 mins.
- Place back in oven proof dish – lined with baking paper – and bake in pre-heated oven 180 degrees 20-30 mins.
- Remove and leave to cool before slicing. Store in fridge (in hot climate).
- Double all ingredients for larger batch.