Eggs, one of nature’s superfoods, are a great source of protein and contain an incredible range of nutrients. Here are 4 simple family recipes with eggs as the hero ingredient.
- 3 egg whites
- 1 full egg
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup spinach
- 3 mushrooms
- 60g black beans
- salt and pepper
- Steam spinach and mushrooms and cherry tomatoes together, then set aside.
- Beat eggs together, add pinch salt and pepper.
- Spray pan with tiny bit of olive oil to stop omelette from sticking, pour into pan and cook!
- Before flipping omelette in half, add tomatoes, mushrooms and spinach then fold over. Serve with black beans on the side.
BACON EGGY CUPCAKES
This is a great recipe to make in advance, especially for school or work lunches.
- 12 eggs
- 8-12 rashers bacon
- vegetables of your choice (onion, spinach capsicum, mushrooms etc)
- herbs (basil & oregano work well, chilli flakes add some heat)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Lightly grease 12-hole muffin pan & line each with a rasher of bacon.
- Lightly fry off veggies in frypan with 1 Tbsp coconut oil & place 2 Tbsp in each muffin.
- Crack an egg into each muffin hole & season with salt, pepper and optional herbs.
Bake for 25min or until cooked through and egg is set. Serve with chutney or tomato relish!
AVOCADO AND EGG
- 1 avocado
- 2 eggs
- ¼ tsp harissa spice
- grated cheese (your favourite)
- ½ onion or chives
- Break egg inside the avocado centre cavity.
- Add chopped spring onion or chives.
- Place cheese on top and bake at 180 degrees for 12 minutes.
SCRAMBLED EGGS, FETA AND SPINACH
- 2 Tbsp butter (or olive oil)
- 8 eggs
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp water
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup pine nuts (toasted)
- ¼ cup feta cheese (crumbled)
- 1 cup packed spinach (gently sautéed)
- Preheat a medium sized pan over medium heat.
- While the pan is heating up, crack eggs into a bowl, add salt & pepper and whisk with a fork.
- Melt the butter slowly until frothy, then pour the beaten eggs into the pan.
- Stir slowly, constantly bring the mixture in from the edges of the pan with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- When the eggs start to set, add remaining ingredients (they are done when still slightly runny looking – they will keep cooking once off the heat). Serve immediately.