Hi! My name is Nick Ellson – personal trainer and holistic health and lifestyle coach. I have always loved exercise, and have been working in the fitness industry since 2004. As well as running a health and wellness business, I have two young children. I know exactly what life as a busy parent is like! Life can feel like a real juggle at times while searching for balance and good health.
After enjoying time as a hotel manager and wine buyer in London, in 2004 I made my passion my career and was soon busy training my first gym PT clients & teaching RPM – group indoor cycling! When I moved to Australia in 2007, I spent the first 18 months working in a private gym near Brisbane City and settling into Aussie life. In early 2009, and ready to be my own boss, I established Northside Fitness – a personal training & group fitness community in north Brisbane.
After a wonderful 10 years of Team NF (22,270 Group Fitness class ‘visits’ and more than 6,000 Personal Training sessions later) the start of 2019 spelled the need for a new direction, and an opportunity to head out on my own. I can now focus 100% on Personal Training and Holistic Lifestyle Coaching, and it feels great!
In October 2020, I moved back to the UK with Heather and our twin girls Bea and Georgina. We are now based in Totnes, south Devon and loving our new home surrounded by the stunning Devon countryside.
So how do I keep fit? I am a bit of a cardio junkie and love nothing more than heading out for a run, bike
ride or swim. However, I also understand the importance of balance and why overtraining can be as stressful on the body as no exercise at all. I now include regular sessions of Kundalini yoga, as well as daily breathing and stretching techniques, to help me relax, stretch out tight muscles and sleep better (see The Importance of Rest).
Here’s my lifestyle resume:
- Oxfam Trailwalker 100km – Brisbane – completed 2015, 2017, 2019 (see Race Report)
- Pomona King of the Mountain Hill Climb – Noosa, Queensland – 2013, 14, 16, 17, 18
- Triathlete – Noosa Tri (5 times), Mooloolaba Tri (3 times) (10+ races UK 1998-2007)
- Endurance cycling and running: Portfolio Partners Century Brisbane to Noosa June 2008
160km, British ‘Cyclosportive’ July 2007 200km, New York Marathon 2000
- Skiing, golf, adventure racing
- World Travel – UK & Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, US, East Africa
- I also love to spend time with my family, and enjoy good food and wine, listening to music, going to the movies, reading, and gardening.
2021 Precision Nutrition Level 1 Certification
University-level course covering in-depth nutrition science and behaviour based coaching.
2016 C.H.E.K. Institute – Holistic Lifestyle Coach – Level 2
Building on HLC 1 – understanding and applying the rationale behind physical and metaphysical assessment, wellness program design strategies, as well as the finer points of coaching for long-term lifestyle changes.
2010 C.H.E.K. Institute – Holistic Lifestyle Coach – Level 1 (renewed 2014)
Optimal Health & Fitness through Practical Nutrition and Holistic Lifestyle Coaching – how disease and stress are preventable through healthy eating habits, lifestyle management and appropriate types of exercise.
2007 C.H.E.K. Institute – Exercise Coach (renewed March 2019)
Corrective Exercise, Postural Analysis, Physiological Load Assessment, Exercise Selection & Modifications for Common Imbalances in the Body.
2006 Master Trainer, Australian Institute of Fitness (Certificate IV – SRF40204)
2004 YMCA Gym Instructor – Certificate III (London)
1995 University of Portsmouth, Portsmouth, UK. BA (Hons) Hotel & Catering Management (Class 2:1)
C.H.E.K. Institute Correspondence Courses completed:
- Dynamic Medicine Ball Training
- Primal Pattern Movements
- Pre-natal Health and Happiness
- Post-partum Health and Happiness
- Swiss Ball Training
- Equal But Not The Same (Women’s Health)
- Assessing Core Function
- Scientific Back Training
- Scientific Core Conditioning
- Program Design
How Can I Help You?
- find it impossible to find the time to look after yourself?
- suffer from lack of sleep?
- have a niggling backache, poor eating habits or drink too much coffee?
All my online programs and face-to-face sessions are created to be manageable, and to create real and long-lasting change.
After 17 years of helping hundreds of people rediscover their zing for life, I look forward to meeting you!
Nick Ellson, Holistic Lifestyle Coach and Personal Trainer